Library Materials in the Youth Services Department
The Library and each of the Branch locations has a large collection of books and materials available for checkout.
- Easy Reader Books (Level 1, 2 or 3) for beginning readers. (ER)
- Picture Books (E)
- Holiday Collection (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Halloween)
- Audio Books (J-Audio, J-CD)
- Parent-Teacher Collection (J-PT)
- Juvenile Non-Fiction and Biography (J-NF, J 92)
- Board Books (BB)
- Chapter Books (J-Fic)
- Graphic Novels (J-Graphic)
Express Book Bags
In a hurry but want new books to read? Let a librarian do it for you! We will prepare a bag of books for you to pick up at the Youth Services desk. Life can be busy, so let us help you keep your library visit simple! Call 419-228-5113 option 3 to put in a request.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brain power? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge; all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten. Lima Public Library's 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting and free way to start your child on a path to success! Any child, ages birth-5 years, can participate.
- Register: Sign up at the library. You will receive a folder filled with everything you need to start.
- Track Your Reading: Fill in a piece of fruit on the Reading Log for each book you read with your child.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time.
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading log to the Library to receive a reward. Take home a new reading log for your next 100 books.
- 1000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the Library! Your child will receive a free bag filled with goodies and a free book too!
- Keep on Reading: Don't stop at 1000! Keep on reading together; there's more learning ahead!
At story times, children will learn and have fun through stories, interactive songs and rhymes, making new friends and more. Parents and caregivers will discover what early literacy skills are and how they can foster those skills at home or school. Every Child Ready to Read is a library initiative to prepare young children with the early literacy skills they need to become life-long readers and thrive in school. Read, Write, Talk, Sing, and Play are the five practices that parents can engage in at home to build the six pre-literacy skills: narrative skills, print awareness, letter knowledge, vocabulary, phonological awareness, and print motivation. These skills and practices are ingrained in our regularly scheduled story times.
Story times are listed in the library's Book Nook events brochure, and on our event calendar online.
Story Time To-Go: check out a Story Time To-Go bundle to take home and do with your children. Each kit includes books, rhymes, literacy tips and a craft. Each week features new kits for you to call or email via Facebook Messenger and request to check out on your library card.
Summer Reading Club
Children and teens who participate in summer library programs benefit from engaging activities and opportunities which promote literacy development and help to counter summer slide. Summer library programs for all ages enhance lifelong learning and provide meaningful, enjoyable experiences available to everyone in the community. The Summer Library Club at the Lima Public Library is held every June and July. Children of all ages are invited to take a reading challenge and earn fun prizes. Participation and registration is free and open to all children. Drop by any library location to sign up and participate.
Let the Library help you with lesson planning. Save time and take advantage of the Library's resources with our Teacher Collection service. Youth Services staff will select age and grade-level appropriate materials on a theme or topic of your choice to support your classroom instruction. Early literacy concepts, preschool themes, free reading selections and resources for reports all available for your needs.
- All ages and grade levels, baby/toddler-Grade 12. We will work with you to tailor a collection to your instructional needs!
- Teacher Collections may include audiobooks, music and DVDs in addition to print resources.
- Please allow one week to fill collection request.
- Due to high demand, resources on popular topics and seasonal/holiday items may be limited.
- Teacher collections are subject to Library policies for individual borrowers. Need a larger collection or extended check-out time? Inquire about our Institutional card for your school or daycare.
- Teacher collections may be requested in person at the Youth Services desk or by phone at 419-228-5113 option 3.
- Need more classroom ideas? Check out our Parent-Teacher resources in the Youth Services Department, under J-PT
Winter Reading Club (January and February)
Children of all ages are invited to beat the winter blahs and join us for a fun reading challenge! Read books, win prizes!