Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brain power? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge; all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten. Lima Public Library's 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting and free way to start your child on a path to success! Any child, ages birth-5 years, can participate.
- Register: Sign up at the library. You will receive a folder filled with everything you need to start.
- Track Your Reading: Fill in a circle on the Reading Log for each book you read with your child.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time.
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading log to the Library to receive a reward. Take home a new reading log for your next 100 books.
- 1000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the Library! Your child will receive a free bag filled with goodies and a free book too!
- Keep on Reading: Don't stop at 1000! Keep on reading together; there's more learning ahead!
- Registration and tracking is available online too. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
Click on the link below to print off the reading log: